Re: Intel's Clear Linux ...

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Intel's Clear Linux ...
On 2019-05-16 16:31, Matt Graham wrote:
> On 2019-05-15 09:56, Matt Graham wrote:
>> On 2019-05-13 18:49, Joe Lowder wrote:
>>> Intel's Clear Linux ...
>>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/05/13/its-time-to-pay-attention-to-intels-clear-linux-os-project/#7d80a96f5c49
> Maybe it was the OHCI chipset that was throwing it off. Intel
> boards usually use UHCI, so they may have said that OHCI is Not
> Our Problem. It's 2 modules that total 56K, good grief, people.
> The GUI wasn't worth exploring with no way to navigate any menus.
> If I have time later, I may see if they actually have the modules in
> /lib/modules and didn't load them due to arrogance and/or hubris

Nope, no OHCI modules. "No problem, I'll just xmodmap -e 'keycode nnn
= Pointer_EnableKeys' ". xmodmap is not on the ISO, because of course
it isn't, even though it runs X. No problem, this distro can mount my
regular Gentoo partition where I have xmodmap and xev. Map keycode 165,
push that, now it's possible to navigate, but the GUI doesn't respond
well to the way the numeric keypad emulates a mouse.

The kernel on this is 5.0.16-custom. "No problem, I'll just modprobe
the 5.0.7-vanilla modules for OHCI!" No, that won't work, because the
kernel they built requires module signing. So basically don't bother
with this unless you have a machine with an UHCI chipset. I
theoretically could get this working if I installed it to disk and then
built a custom kernel without brain damage. That would be entirely too
much hassle.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity