Re: File Ownership and Remote Editing.

Author: PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: File Ownership and Remote Editing.
In the remote box:
create a user not member to any group that has a shell and don't assign a
password, but configure ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 to login remotely.

chown -R www-data.${MY_NEW_USER} /PATH/TO/FILES/I/WANT/TO/EDIT/
find /PATH/TO/FILES/I/WANT/TO/EDIT/ -type d -exec chmod 770 "{}" \;
find /PATH/TO/FILES/I/WANT/TO/EDIT/ -type f -exec chmod 440 "{}" \;

You could also configure www-data with ssh-keys and add/remove a shell in a
blink.
You'll need to ssh as root, which either is not allowed by
/etc/ssh/sshd_config (and you want it like that) or doesn't have a password
(which you also want it like that)
The solution again is ssh keys and configure /etc/ssh/sshd_config with:
PermitRootLogin without-password

Now you can:
ssh root@remotebox 'usermod -s/bin/rbash www-data'
sftp as www-data and, immediately after log in (sftp will keep working)
ssh root@localhost 'usermod -s/bin/false www-data'
Free advice, can't sue me... :)
ET