Re: boot from cd, point to thumb drive

+ (text/html)
Author: Todd Cole
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: boot from cd, point to thumb drive
I use Multisystem at the installfest the trick is if you create it on a
uefi machine it will only boot a uefi machine and only run Uefi iso's. if
you build it on a non uefi machine it will only be able to boot a non-uefi
configured machine but them will only install as non uefi
most uefi computers can be set to either but is a bit of a pain to switch a
installed image between grub and grub-efi and adding a efi partition the
redirecting efi bios to the efi-grub.
most newer computers are not uniform on how they implement UEFI so a bit of
trial and error is needed. turn off secure boot and all uefi/efi options
for non uefi installs and secure boot may need to be turned off for uefi
installs.
to create images on usb I use dd for most iso's and ubuntu startup disk
creator 18.04 up also works for most usb media creation.
to update the bios again each is a bit different. some i can update with a
fat usb drive that has the new image on it others I have to a usb dos boot
disk.
feel free to stop by the installfest on the 20th at UAT and I would be
happy to assist and I have all the media ready to go to update bios and
install most linux distro's

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 3:16 PM Jim <> wrote:

> I have a USB stick with multisystem installed on it. I'm looking for
> some way to boot from the CD then have the multisystem options available
> as if I were able to boot from the USB stick.
>
> On 4/8/19 2:24 PM, wrote:
> > If you boot from a CD/DVD and attach a properly configured USB device,
> > it will just be another device.
> > You just mount the partition and be done with it.
> > High level, I know, let me know if you need more specifics.
> > ET
> >
> > Jim writes:
> >> I've got a computer with a Gigabyte P35-DS4L revision 1 motherboard
> >> in it. The boot options include USB hard drives, but it won't boot
> >> from a USB thumb drive. It will boot from an optical disc. Can
> >> someone tell me how to make a boot CD that would then point to a
> >> USB thumb drive? I don't want to have to go back to burning dozens
> >> of boot discs.
> >> I looked online and found many references to Gigabyte boards not
> >> booting from USB. I found many people who had the same problem, and
> >> some solutions for revision 2 of this board, but none for revision 1.
> >> thanks

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team
2928 W El Caminito