Re: Port 80/443 router conflict

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Port 80/443 router conflict
I would second both Stephen and Dhruva with a slight expansion.
1) Setting up a HTTP (or Layer 7 in general) proxy is what you need to have one IP/port set directed to multiple backend HTTP servers/services.
2) TLS traffic is "special" to proxy, as the certificate has to be on the proxy, which needs to terminate the secure tunnel in order to inspect the traffic and figure out where it goes. You'll probably want to look into how you setup the server to manage multiple certificates (if you have different DNS entries) to make this work smoothly.
3) In addition to Nginx or Apache, you could also use HAProxy to setup a pure proxy (the proxy terminates TLS, inspects traffic, and directs traffic to backend services for both website and NAS based on HTTP characteristics), and manage traffic for both services in the proxy. Not the simplest setup, but a good toolset to learn for a ton of use cases.
3a) If you're looking to learn more, you can look at doing things like cookie inspection to direct traffic, so (e.g.) only traffic with a certain cookie will transit and other traffic goes to a tarpit or authentication service.