Re: How to migrate Ubuntu to new computer?

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to migrate Ubuntu to new computer?
On 2019-02-27 17:33, Harold Hartley wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019, at 17:22, Matthew Crews wrote:
>> On 2/27/19 4:03 PM, Harold Hartley wrote:
>>> I found out that problem myself. Ubuntu uses a different disc
>>> formatting
>>> than the other distro’s uses.
>> In what way?
> I don’t remember the name of the formatting, but it makes it hard to
> take source code and compile it.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. LVM/no LVM and ext4 or XFS or ZFS
shouldn't make any difference to the compiler.

I could see problems happening if they set SELinux to "enforcing" and
put together a fine-grained and bloody-minded set of policies. In that
case, a compiler-generated executable might not have the right security
context to read its config file or its data files. Heck, "make install"
would probably fail on a system like that even if you ran it as root and
left PREFIX as /usr/local .

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity