Re: [Google] Fiber dream ends, what next?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: [Google] Fiber dream ends, what next?
I recently switched to CL to save money, pure bottom line. As someone that
has some love for the cable industry, having been there to build it even
pre-DOCSIS circa '99-00, and working at cox before turning too evil here
locally, it was a bit of a sad parting, but necessary as they've fallen too
of late. I got tired of cox pimping me for overages in bandwidth, which
was the long and short of my leaving them all together. I haven't paid for
video in 25 years, so that's irrelevant

Cox is better bandwidth imho, but not better enough to pay another 25% over
on, and particularly not when they've done nothing but anger me of late
anyways with general outages, degradation, and otherwise not giving a crap
that they are in a general state of decline. CL has been in perpetual
decline for 50 years as Bell's race to the bottom, at least they're cheaper
now, and the service is otherwise stable for much less cost. I will never
get fiber in my old-assed area, so the realist kicks in, might as well save
some cash for the 140mbps service @ $55/mo vs. $80 for 80mps cox and
randomly taxing me $20-30 extra a month for overages.

-mb