Re: Problem with 2 Displays and Ubuntu 18.04

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Problem with 2 Displays and Ubuntu 18.04
What DE are you using with it, default ubuntu gnome? Normally windoze or
some Linux DE's you can right click on the menu, choose "move", which
should refocus the window or the mouse that the mouse can grab it.
Usually. Gnome was pretty terrible about window behavior using it with
18.04 on my laptop, don't remember what it did or didn't let you do. Maybe
try a different DE, but good luck there, as I could never get another DE to
work on my 18.04 laptop, why it's now running Arch...

Maybe you can use the window or desktop scaling from system settings on
there to make everything small enough that you can grab and resize the
window. It's usually good about remembering the last window size, once you
can get it not huge and close it normally to remember.

It does sound like ubuntu doing something weird if it keeps doing it that
evince would think it needed to open bigger than a 1080p display, probably
something around dpi and desktop scale. Or evince isn't properly
hi-dpi/scale aware, but I don't think so as I use it fine on all my systems
from 1080p to 4k displays. Only other time I've seen that is when I open a
window large on an external display, and remove it, pulling it back to a
smaller primary display, and that occurs that I can't resize the window
easily.

Try Okular as a viewer to see if it's weird too.

-mb