Re: Best linux laptop for a gift?

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Best linux laptop for a gift?
Find the laptop you can afford (ie best processor, most RAM, large hard
drive, weight and size for what you want to do with the laptop) and then
google "install mint on XXXX" where XXX = make and model of that laptop.
You will quickly see if there are any issues. If there are, pick another
one!

Also, google the cost of a RAM upgrade and new hard drive for the model you
pick - you may be able to save some bucks on buying a laptop with little
RAM and a bad hard drive and replacing those yourself.

Finally, if buying a used laptop from a person, install mint on a usb stick
and test if the laptop will boot from the usb stick and into mint.

I agree with Stephen, Latitudes and Thinkpads are usually Linux friendly

Mark