Re: Building an RPM ...

Author: Jerry Snitselaar
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Building an RPM ...
On Mon Dec 17 18, Snyder, Alexander J wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I'm trying to build an RPM package, from source.
>
>I'm following the suggestions of several tutorials online, but I keep
>getting errors when checking the build.
>
>I'm still generally confused about the install section. If I'm building it
>from source, how should I know what files will be installed, and in what
>directories?
>
>Is the "files" section required or just a courtesy so "rpm -ql" would work?

The %files section tells the rpm what to include in the package, and is required.

The %prep, %build, and %install sections are all about building the code prior
to packaging it. %prep should be unpackaging the source in rpmbuild/BUILD, and applying any patches.
%build will actually be where things like configure and make get run. Then %install will
typically be doing make install or an equivalent, but pointing at buildroot. rpmbuild likes to
complain, so if stuff ends up in the buildroot, that you don't have listed in the %files section
it will let you know.

This Fedora RPM Guide, which is based off the Red Hat RPM Guide book, should have decent information
about what is happening: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/index.html