Re: portable streaming media hardware question

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: PLUG Phoenix List
Subject: Re: portable streaming media hardware question
So I use a synology filer at home (two, actually), and replicate data using
their cloud sync app on there on my androids. I do this mostly for books
as I add new things I queue to read. At some point I intend to do the same
for music. I do this on my local lan right now, so when it *can* hit the
synology, it syncs and adds new stuff from my /books dir.

I mentioned ZeroTier before here for personal vpn/cloud, I use this as well
to access my synology filer (and everything else at home) running a ZT
client (props for them offering a synology package!) remotely from my phone
or whatever, on cell or wifi anywhere. I enable the ZT network on
phone/tablet, use solidexplorer on android to access a cifs share remotely
over encrypted sdwan/vpn to my synology, and do my business copying what I
want to the phone as if local. I use this to grab movies and stuff when on
the road from my home share, books, music, work client data, whatever. I
could setup sync replication over it too, but I only use zerotier on wifi
or on-demand otherwise.

You don't always have to carry everything with you, just have to bring the
private cloud/home network to your devices securely, and ZT is great for
that. I'm not comfortable pushing my media over to google/box/dropbox/etc
either, particularly sensitive work data, so I like ZeroTier for this back
to my home filer(s), and you can do so only when on wifi so not burning
your mobile data.

-mb