RE: How to fix 'no route to host' problem

+ (text/html)
Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: How to fix 'no route to host' problem
If all else fails and if you have control over the range of addresses that DHCP gives out (at least enough to tell it to leave a few un-assigned), you could always force the server to be at a static IP address.

That is, either using network manager or whatever method you desire (including editing /etc/network/interfaces, see below) and setting it to not use DHCP but to have a static address.

Then, if it is alive, it should always be at that IP address.  Just make sure DHCP never allocates a new host there.

Here’s the syntax for making static in interfaces file:

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet static
      address 192.168.0.149
      netmask 255.255.255.0

You may have to fiddle with <something> to get the name of the Ethernet device right (or static), including hacking around with udev rules….  Especially since eth0 went away recently, being replaced with wonderful names like enp3s0…  (I understand the logic, but sometimes I want the first Ethernet device to be eth0, period.  NO funny enp3s0/1/2/3 enp4s1 stuff… but I digress!)

And, I’m NOT going to even MENTION the totally sick hack of finding the actual IP address that the host got from DHCP by using broadcast ping from a different host… ;-)

Rusty