Re: OT: Looking for Good Headhunter

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: PLUG Phoenix List
Subject: Re: OT: Looking for Good Headhunter
Recruiters, particularly the more independent/floating ones, particularly
if you approach them, are usually not too interested in actually finding
you a job as typically trying to consult you to be some model candidate.
It's a bit of a racket I find, and know some folks going through this very
thing right now with a lot of money invested with a particular "recruiter".

There are very, very few recruiters I pick up a call for, some very
well-connected folks that know to call me when they have no one else to do
a job. Most recruiter and firms are so hated and burned into memory I know
their general DID prefix and refuse calls from anyone at their building.
They are generally not your friends, and rather just like cops/taxes/bill
collectors, trying to make a quota in getting money out of you one way or
another. They tend to make for their company a good 20-30% off your hide
if independent, some percentage of that for themselves, or whatever their
salary as an internal head count on annual and not be fired, so don't
delude that they're being anything in selfish for their even talking to you.

I've not gotten a notable job from a recruiter in probably 10 years, all
the best are through referrals or just folks I know aside from recruiters.
I carried this into independent consulting eventually, tend to keep a roof
over my head.

-mb