Re: How to fix "no route to host" problem

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to fix "no route to host" problem

On 2018-10-06 16:02, Michael Butash wrote:
> If no route to host in a local subnet, the remote device isn't arping
> in the local device cache, which is the most basic networking
> possible.  Using "ip neighbor" or old "arp -an" works to see this, but
> usually means your remote host isn't getting on the network enough ro
> even layer 2 arp.
>
> Can you ping it?

If this is a normal home network, it is entirely possible that the
target machine is using DHCP. The DHCP servers on many home routers are
not always set up to give the same IPs to the same MAC addrs. So: Go
to the target machine and find out what its IP and MAC
are--"/sbin/ifconfig" from the command line will show that info. Then
set up your router such that it will always give out 192.168.0.4 to that
MAC.

Many home routers also act as tiny caching DNS servers by default.
Some of these are smart enough so that you can associate names with IPs
in the local LAN, so that you can "rsync /path/to/stuff/
machine1:/backups/stuff/" instead of 192.168.0.4:/backups/stuff/ .

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity