Re: Alienware 15 R4 and Ubuntu 18.04

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Alienware 15 R4 and Ubuntu 18.04
I have not had great luck so far with 18.04 on my xps15 with graphics,
particularly it having both intel and nvidia, but the os seemed sort of
shoddy so far. So far kubuntu/kde refuses to load at all, just crashing,
same with cinnamon/mate. The only thing that works reliably so far is
ubuntu gnome shell, which I hate, but sort of stuck with, and still gets
like an hour of battery life if lucky. I should take some time to try and
fix it, but I'm usually not too mobile with it unless doing wireless survey
work.

You might do well to try 16.04 for grins and just load a newer kernel (I
did so for the tb16 dock enhancements), which worked fine under 16.04 on my
xps and kde or any de. Everything worked solidly there prior, again 18.04
just seems shoddy/broken. I've considered reinstalling 16.04.

Even better, I'd love to go back and get arch on that thing... Arch has
been great for me on my desktop, I don't even remember why arch was being
weird on the xps15 (I think the nvme disks and boot disk kernel...).

I looked at the razor blade laptops ala alienware for pretty factor, but
worried about the hardware compat like this too. Like I mentioned in
another thread about the pretty asus, not all that glitters, particularly
mingling linux.

-mb