Re: Greetings and How do I kill the x server

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Greetings and How do I kill the x server
you have to shut it down differently.

1. Use ctrl + alt + F1 to switch to terminal,
2. login.
3. run sudo service lightdm *stop* , lightdm and *xserver* should be
stopped now (check with ctrl + alt + F7 , which is your current
*xorg* session,
it should not show any desktop now)
4. do your things.
5. run sudo service lightdm start to start lightdm and *xorg* again.

Replace lightdm with the following as required.

sudo service gdm stop

sudo service kdm stop

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 9:57 AM Jim <> wrote:

> I have a problem killing the x server. I have Kubuntu 18 installed.
> I've gone into system settings / input devices / keyboard and enabled
> the option to kill the x server using control alt backspace, but it
> doesn't work. I created another user account and it works if I'm logged
> in as the other user. I know I could nuke all this account's settings
> and start from scratch, but I have this account configured like I like
> except for the ability to kill the x server. Does anyone have any idea
> what file needs to be edited or deleted, or is there something else?
> Thanks

Stephen