RE: Cheap new Linux laptop advice?

+ (text/html)
Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: Cheap new Linux laptop advice?
Personally, 4G is not QUITE enough RAM. (Disclaimer - I have 16G on both my personal laptop and my work laptop. I used to have 4G on my work laptop, bah humbug)

My wife’s laptop has 4G, and has to kill off firefox every once in a while due to its apparent memory leak.  However, I’ve got 16 G at work running windows, and every few days *I* have to kill my firefox because it is taking around 14G (or at least guess which window is causing the leak)….

(Ok, yes, I’m a heavy user.  I confess.  (Is there a group for that?) )

We’re using Lenovo at work, and a T410 worked fine (as fine as it can with only 4G - but all the hardware worked ok as I remember).  4G max RAM, I think, but I think there’s a T420 or something that takes more RAM.

I’ve had relatively good luck in the old days with Dell (Inspiron 8000 or something like that?), but YMMV.

The only laptops I’ve got personal experience that I know work fine (again, ignoring memory) are:

My wife’s, model and so forth forgotten.  If you care I can go look

My personal Alienware, which is WAY outside the price range.  The only real issue with it was:  you need a recent distro (Mint 17 didn’t work well, Mint 18 worked fine).

Lenovo ThinkPad T410.  Used with an older Mint, as I remember everything worked.

I just realized that I don’t think I’ve run Linux on my ThinkPad, so ‘never mind’ on that one, sorry.