Re: Building a Linux Computer?

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Computer?
On 2018-05-23 10:22, Jerry Snitselaar wrote:
> On Mon May 21 18, Stephen Partington wrote:
>> I have found that intel/AMD hybrid laptop combinations are a real
>> pita
>> to work with and get all of your hardware running. [...] Intel has
>> embraced Linux pretty well of late so aside from hybrid soft raid it
>> all works.
> Intel has one of the largest kernel teams of any company right
> now. They do a pretty good job at getting support for their hardware
> into the kernel as quickly as possible

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hybrid_graphics says the hybrid
graphics parts should be doable. At least that's what I thought you
meant when you said "intel/AMD hybrid". There are also a lot of
references to fooling with various settings ("AHCI mode in the BIOS") to
get a spinny-disk + M.2 setup (hybrid soft RAID?) recognized properly.
I don't know for sure though, never tried to install anything on one of
these.

> Any idea what Dell systems you were having trouble with?

Yeah, we had many poweredge machines, and only one of them ever had any
real trouble with Linux. I think its hardware was flaky. For every
other machine, just install, configure, and it ran until the {disk, fan,
CPU, NIC} pooped out.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity