Re: Laptop for compiling.

Author: Eric Oyen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Laptop for compiling.
well,
Dell has some machines in that price range. HP does as well. both sites have a "build your own" feature that will cull down all the features you want to have and spit out a model.

Mine is a Dell Latitude laptop 2012 vintage core i5 with 4 cores on board. 4 GB of ram and a 250 GB hdd. When I acquired it, the price tag was around $700. It's still serviceable and still boots up pretty fast (for an actual spindle HDD, that's pretty fast).

btw, if you want an SSD on your machine, expect to pay through the nose as those are not cheap.

Here is one on amazon for under $500: https://www.amazon.com/hp-laptop-under-500/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahp%20laptop%20under%20500

you could also look at a couple of local retailers (like Best Buy, Walmart or Fry's electronics). there is always a deal to be had. just be aware, the cheaper the system is, the less powerful it is less likely to be.

-eric