LibreOffice formatting weirdness

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: LibreOffice formatting weirdness
For the people that were at the meeting last night you saw that Barbara
observed/complained that her presentation, that was created in
PowerPoint, was formatted oddly.
The strange thing is that we were sure that it was showing correctly on
my other laptop, and I verified that it was a little bit ago.
The first thing I assumed was that the versions were different, but both
laptops were on the exact same version.  The next thing I assumed was my
other laptop was missing the MS core fonts, but I found that they were
installed.
I was finally able to get it to show up correctly when I noticed that
the "libreoffice" meta package wasn't actually installed. When I
installed it, it pulled in the following extra packages:

  fonts-crosextra-caladea fonts-crosextra-carlito fonts-liberation2
fonts-sil-gentium fonts-sil-gentium-basic libbsh-java libreoffice
libreoffice-librelogo
  libreoffice-nlpsolver libreoffice-ogltrans libreoffice-report-builder
libreoffice-report-builder-bin libreoffice-script-provider-bsh
libreoffice-script-provider-js
  libreoffice-script-provider-python libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql
libreoffice-wiki-publisher

So the the "fix" was in the form of the fonts-crosextra-caladea font
package.  The presentation used the cambria font and that package
provides a visually similar font with the same metrics.

As for the wrong colors and missing dashed lines. That turned out to be
my fault.  I found that the document would load correctly, but if it
were modified in LibreOffice and saved to it's original pptx format and
then reloaded the colors were messed up and the dashed lines were
converted to solid lines.  I messed it up when I moved a couple of
things around trying to get the formatting better.

Anyway, I just thought I would share just in case anyone way curious as
to why the presentation was showing up strangely... and who knows maybe
someone has the same issue and it's simply a package load away for
better formatting.

Brian Cluff