Re: How to disable UEFI ??

Author: Brian Cluff
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to disable UEFI ??
That sounds like the exact problem I was describing that most people
encounter.  People new to UEFI don't realize that you have to have a
special partition with a file type of "EFI System" and formatted with
vfat to store boot loaders.  There's even a lot of people that have done
a bunch of installs where they over wrote windows also don't realize
that they have to have that partition either since it already existed on
the drive from factory.  You can also run into problems if you use the
legacy MBR style of drive since UEFI requires GPT in order to boot
properly... and switching from one to the other isn't very obvious.
That switch ate a day of my life once before I realized what I did wrong.

Like I said it a completely different way to booting and it's takes a
bit to wrap your head around but once you understand it you realize it's
a much better system than the old system of poking a few bytes of code
at the beginning of a drive that will hopefully bootstrap into a boot
loader as long as everything lines up and stays lined up and nothing
overwrites those first few bytes with something else that point to a
different place and your boot loader doesn't get moved around or put too
far into the drive where it can't access it any more.

With UEFI, you just put your boot loader into the EFI partition and
register it with UEFI system and your done.  You don't have to worry
about finding any and all other operating systems loaded in the system
so you can create boot entries for them, so that you can continue to
access those other OSes.  In fact you can have multiple different boot
loaders for the same system loaded in parallel, in case you would like
to load a new one while still keeping your GRUB system intact.

Now if UEFI accessible for visually impaired persons and BIOS was,
that's something that needs to be fixed.  I was under the impression
that neither of them had any accessibility features, but from what I've
seen of UEFI if either of them had accessibility features I would have
thought that UEFI would be the one since there is usually a command line
mode that UEFI can be put into with the gui simply being a wrapper for it.

Brian Cluff