Re: Post : INTEL’S SECURITY FLAW IS NO FLAW

+ (text/html)
Author: Victor Odhner
To: Matthew Crews, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Post : INTEL’S SECURITY FLAW IS NO FLAW
This is just another result of monoculture. When Apple gave up on Motorola CPUs, it occurred to me that we would have basically a single computer structure. It appears that this “management” thing (actually a very cute name for something that manages everybody, if true) would go around a lot of this anyway. But while Linux is fine for bypassing things we might not like about Windows or OS X, the fact is that the hardware world has become very uniform, so some things we may not like are kind of universal.

Not that someone couldn’t develop a whole new computer architecture. But another fact is that the hardware and firmware logic have so many layers, and so many of those layers are so 1960s and how they work is so totally forgotten, coming up with a different architecture would be a 30-year project!

The original Space Shuttle had at least two versions of software, and I think they also tried to build more than one hardware system, so that a bug wouldn’t take the whole thing down. Pretty hard to do something like that, back then, but quite impossible today.

On 20180110, at 12:15, Matthew Crews <> wrote:
> [...]

I'm leery to buy into conspiracy theories like this, nor posts on 4chan as fact (the reddit post is clearly a screenshot of a 4chan post), but in this day and age this would not surprise me in the least if this is true.