Re: OT: Meltdown and Spectre - worse than Y2K?

Author: Matthew Crews
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Meltdown and Spectre - worse than Y2K?

To be clear, if we are talking Spectre, then it isn't just Intel involved, it is most (all?) silicon vendors for the last decade or more. Meltdown is also known to affect some silicon vendors besides Intel.

As for the impact, then yeah this will haunt us for some time. I'm less concerned about systems that are upgraded or patched, but at-large this WILL go unpatched on working systems for a long time, if at all. (billions of cell phones still operating that won't receive firmware updates, and millions and millions of servers and desktop/laptop machines that will never be fixed either).