RE: GNU/Linux

Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: GNU/Linux
Huh. I thought the reason programmers (or whatever you want to call them) get grey hairs and burn out was some combination of:

1 - they are hopelessly optimistic, and so GROSSLY underestimate EVERY project's effort. Managers like the short estimates and don't adjust based upon reality. When the deadline nears, the software person works more and more hours to try to meet the deadline, which goes whizzing past at a high rate of speed. More hours/week and more effort (which brings with it more mistakes and slower progress)... until the project is finally done (ish) and the next cycle begins.

(Well, yes, I was a software developer for most of my professional life, why do you ask? ;-)

2 - they tend to work much more than 40 hours per week. (80, 90, sometimes more)

3 - old age ;-)

Rusty