performance tuning a LAMP server for Magento version 2

Author: Keith Smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: performance tuning a LAMP server for Magento version 2

Hi,

I am trying to understand performance tuning a LAMP server for Magento
version 2. Any help is much appreciated.

Here is what I have and know so far.

HARDWARE

Dell laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz
2 cores and 4 threads
4G RAM
5400 RPM drive

O/S

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (no x) This is configured as a server specifically
for Magento

PACKAGES

Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)
PHP 7.0.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.4 with Zend OPcache v7.0.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.4
MySql 5.7.17-0ubuntu0.16.04.2

I set PHP memory_limit to 2G. It came set at 128k. This change by
itself made a noticeable performance change.

MAGENTO

Magento ver. 2.1.6 with all cache turned off and placed in developer
mode so it displays errors. No user, product, or sales data.

When loading the home page it takes about 30 seconds. Top showed 27%
CPU usage at the highest and KiB Mem : 3948648 total, 2967296 free,
344528 used, and load was at most .59.

While loading the page, at the top of the process listing, the top two
were www-data. At one point the top 4 were www-data. And at one point
it showed 99% CPU usage for www-data.

Based on Top, I assume the first bottleneck is the stock configuration
of Apache.

What I find perplexing is a 30+ second page load that does not peg the
CPU for the entire time and run load up? I would think it would be
using everything it has. What is stopping this from happening? Where is
the throttle? What am I missing?

Your thoughts are much appreciated?

Thank you for all your help!!

Keith