Re: (OT) Backup Software Suggestions

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: (OT) Backup Software Suggestions
+1 on the hard links. I do the same thing and depending on the type of
data and size of files you can keep hundreds of backups in a fairly
negligible space, and the best part is that every single backup appears
on the system as a complete backup so you don't have to worry about
merging any kind of incremental backups.

I once had a client that kept a backup like that and had 5 years of
daily backups all on a single 1TB drive. There were actually so many
files backed up that it took a week of 24/7 deleting to thin out the
backups. His backup script now goes back and thins out older backups on
the fly so I don't have to remember to clean then out from time to time,
but he still has a fairly good amount of backups in order to roll back
to a specific time.

Brian Cluff