Magneto directory / file ownership, and becoming the apache …

Author: Keith Smith
To: Plug-discuss
Subject: Magneto directory / file ownership, and becoming the apache user

Hi,

I am learning Magento 2. Magento suggests setting the file/director
owner to Apache if on CentOS. I am on CentOS 7. Magento offers a
command line utility - bin/magento which can do a number of things such
as enable or disable modules, clear cache etc. It also creates files.

I ran the Magento command as root and the files it created were owned by
root.

I tried to become the apache user with command : su - apache which
returned "This account is currently not available."

I Assume it would would be best to become the apache user while working
from the command line on Magento.

Is my thought process reasonable? And id so how do I modify the apache
user to I can become the apache user? Or is there a better practice.

At this point I have to become root and do a chown apache -R
magento-directory.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Keith