Re: umount

Author: PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: umount
'Unplugging without mounting' may leave the filesystem in inconsistent state
that only needs software to fix.

If you want to validate hardware via brute force try:
dd if=/dev/<your HD device> of=/dev/null
that will read the device track by track on its entirety.
If you want a deeper check (and can afford to erase the drive) try:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<your HD device>
that will write binary zeroes all over the drive, what was years past a 'low
level format'

If you get exasperated, just shoot the damn thing and buy another one...
:)

The test that you are running may take a lifetime. Those are very through
but they were designed when a 100 MB (yes, MB, *NOT* GB) was big.
Now that the sizes are orders of magnitude bigger, the times are
exponentially larger.
Grab a beer and forget about it...
ET