Re: USB Booting Woes

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: USB Booting Woes

Your situation sounds a bit like mine with a disk a few years
      ago.

I had a 2tb usb drive a few years ago, a WD usb disk that worked
      for about a week in my system without issue.  One day I had to
      reboot, and found the system just simply wouldn't even post bios
      or anything.  I'd actually forgotten about the disk as "the last
      new thing added" and began to freak out that my mobo died.
      Eventual rational troubleshooting kicked, and I began removing
      hardware, which was just usb connections.  Rebooting it then it
      came right up, and narrowing things down, found it was that damn
      disk.

I ended up voiding the warranty and gutting the disk from their
      crappy enclosure to test in another generic one I had around, and
      it worked fine.

All I could presume was that the crappy little mass-mass produced
      usb chip was more unstable chinese garbage shipped in ignorance by
      vendors, and simply wrote it off.  It was a big reason I don't buy
      WD drives today, and or "pre-made" usb drives in general.

Almost every one I've ever had has been crap, and gets a fraction
      of the life of any other drive.  I presume disk vendors use thei
      mobility as an excuse to sell off the crap that doesn't pass
      enterprise or desktop QA, and thus gets shrifted down into
      something people expect to fail.

Best I can say is get a real desktop disk with a real warranty
      (more than the 1yr only usb disks always give you - with reason),
      and get yourself an external enclosure to diy.

-mb

On 12/10/2016 08:23 AM, Mark Phillips