Re: fan issues with system76 gazelle running gentoo

Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: fan issues with system76 gazelle running gentoo
If lmsensors doesn't see the fans, how about in the bios? Bios should
show the rpm there, if not, that sounds like the hardware monitoring
chip died. Not exactly the most sophisticated things.

If bios sees it, but os cannot, I'd check there isn't a bios update for
"feature upgrades" related to acpi monitoring. Vendor bios acpi
implementations always leave something to be desired here, and they
probably had some workaround in place with whatever they shipped it with.

This is where windows laptop vendors always tweak drivers for their
units, but no such attention from most vendors for linux. This is what
dell does for their "developer edition" laptops that come with tweaked
distro installs and their own repos, and others that support linux like
system76. As I often find, they don't always "just work" otherwise.

-mb