RE: install linux on an external drive

+ (text/html)
Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: install linux on an external drive
Personally, I’d use an install CD/DVD to install on the external drive and let it put the requisite GRUB stuff into sda, THEN either copy the home dir from sda to the external drive, or set the external drive up to mount /home from sda (assuming the internal drive comes up as SDA).

NOTE! WARNING! BEWARE!!! DD will almost certainly copy the UUID from the source partition to the destination partition!  I do NOT know what havoc will result when linux looks for that UUID and finds 2….  (I’d guess it takes the first one it finds, which may or may not be what you wanted).

(I know about the UUID copy because I do that here at work all the time.  In my case, it’s a feature.  In your case, it’s a bug)

I’m hoping my subscription request will work and you won’t need to reply-all to get the rest of Plug to see this.  (Our IT re-writes outgoing email addresses, so I’m hoping I guessed the outgoing address right!)

Rusty