Re: Bitlocker and Linux

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Re: Bitlocker and Linux - Visio
Subject: Re: Bitlocker and Linux

I've been running disk encryption with luks on my own laptops
      since I stopped using windoze years ago, and it can have multiple
      unlock key slots, both for yourself, and corporate IT.  The only
      real deficiency is there isn't any centralized management for it
      natively, unless you're doing automation atop it with puppet,
      anisble, etc to rotate it with a script.

From there, I just run a non-trusted windoze vm if I just need it
      as a visio hypervisor as usual, or I've found decent IT shops
      usually offer some sort of corporate install options for vm.  If
      no other reason to have one, the mac users still always just have
      to run fusion+windoze anyways for an office suite that doesn't
      suck and other win-only enterprise garbage.

I did this last year working for a large network vendor on
      contract, as they required windoze, win-only vpn, certs, posture
      analysis, and a ton of other windoze-only software suites, but
      they provided a winpe build disk that ran inside vm, and poof, out
      came a corporate blessed image to run on about anything.  Sadly It
      used so much ram by default, it actually ran better on my laptop
      or desktop where I could give it 12gb of my ram vs the crappy
      gimme laptop they handed me with 8gb.  I had to build it in vmware
      as their iso checked, but then just converted it to virtualbox and
      ran it there.

Every time I would have to boot windoze for something, I'd just
      figure out/plan/plot how to replace it eventually.  Win admins
      usually hate to see me coming their way, but I can always meet
      their requirements to stay using linux.  I'm still down to only
      visio I simply haven't found a suitable replacement for yet.

-mb

On 10/17/2016 08:23 PM, Brien Dieterle