Re: 4 cores and 8 threads

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: 4 cores and 8 threads

Agreed - the os just sees logical or
      physical "cores", be it hyperthreaded 2*core or not.
      Hyperthreading just invokes an arbitrator in the form of a thread
      load-balancer and doubles the core count to the kernel in
      reporting outside the bios at the os level.

      I don't believe there is an os dependency really, aside from bios
      representation and how touchy the os.  Old days, windoze had apm
      or acpi-based kernels and setup of ntldr from boot that if you
      changed it, your system would generally blue-screen on boot with a
      giant fu.  I learned this on my first smp system, a dual celeron
      hotrod circa 2000, and sadly held true to at least winxp with
      certain hypervisors if you changed the bios and northbridge arch
      too much to the kernel.

      Linux never cared in my experience, and I barely started using
      beyond xp with win7 last year to do too much other than increase
      resource usage as a visio hypervisor.

      -mb