Re: Fwd: MacBook

Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Fwd: MacBook
I've gotten to the point I don't update/reboot my os until I need to. I
tried to keep up with security patches, and ended up breaking my system
every other week. Usually because of crappy amd video drivers, but
often far more obscure things would just sort of freak out with an
update. My work laptop I update every 6 months it seems, but I never put
it on a public (non-firewall/nat) network either.

This isn't exactly an ideal situation, and isn't pretty when it comes to
linux, but the flip side is I don't have to deal with worse atrocities,
such as windoze.

Case in point: My roommate works for Amazon as a remote CS agent, and
she will go days regularly with being unable to work, much for the same
reason. Why? Windoze updated and broke all their custom, and
commercial software. Windoze 10 anniversary updates have apparently
single-handedly broken all their apps, which forced her to buy a new pc
just to not be fired after her weekend. She logged in, and it told her
they'd fix it in a week, mean time her clock is ticking to being fired.
Thanks Amazon and Microsoft, such wonderful companies.

My vitriol toward microsoft is not exactly unfounded imho. Having dealt
with the guts of it for 20 years now, seeing their blatant abuse and
ignorance toward security, I know enough to simply avoid+mock it, and
I'll happily take my knocks in something like linux vs. paying for the
knocks adding insult to injury. People that do use windoze and mac
really don't seem to suffer any less, but they do get some shiny new
video game or free music every week to distract them from hating life.

-mb