Re: 2FA over SMS considered harmful

Author: Ed
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Tom Roche
Subject: Re: 2FA over SMS considered harmful
1) yes 2FA is better than only a password
2) yes SMS is not secure and 2FA via SMS is just security theater
3) yes Yubikeys work better and are even more secure in their now "not
free" hardware* but NFC is needed for Android phones and iPhones are
SOL (thx Appl)... so?
4) U2F Yubikey are $18 and work without disclosing anything - so use
them when not on SuperPhones
5) your authentication at many organizations will require things like
Duo mobile 2FA and you want yob?
also NIST knows this isn't going to be a quick transition - like
dropping cipher protocol SSLv2 etc - sloooww
der.hans - it's called institutionalized for a reason ;)
*also not java anymore so: tradeoffs