Re: Ubuntu (kde/4k)

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Brian Cluff, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ubuntu (kde/4k)

So I'd been thinking about finally
      escaping the AMD hell I'm usually stuck in with their driver and
      lack of giving a care about linux largely, and your comments got
      me looking at the new big daddy 1070/1080 cards.  Phoronix likes
      them and reports them working well enough, but then I saw this on
      newegg:

Max Resolution: 7680 x 4320

      Really?!  Even with 3x displayport's and 1x hdmi2.0 port, I can't
      effectively use them more than 2x 4k monitors wide?

      How absurd that nvidia *still* limits their framebuffers where amd
      has allowed 16384x16384 resolution since the 6xxx series.  My 3x
      4k tv system runs just dandy on my ancient 7900 amd card lately
      with oss drivers, but requires 11520x2160 that apparently they
      cannot/will not do.  They stupidly limit to two wide and two high
      vs three wide that would keep you from trying to use a reticle
      over the display edge?  Not much of a gaming system card for
      multi-monitor I'd say.

      Argh, this is why I still don't use nvidia, even though their
      purported quality and performance is better.  Thanks a lot for
      useless hardware, at least I know I can always score the amd video
      cards on ebay cheap that *do* work.

      The other odd thing I found - there seems to be a scalper market
      on availability of these cards.  Ebay is full of them selling a
      good $200-400 more than retail by parasites soaking them up from
      retail chains for profit.  Another good reason to avoid nvidia it
      seems.

      -mb