Re: Crap! HDMI... :( Help!

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Crap! HDMI... :( Help!
>>> a laptop (Asus ROG GL752VW) Stupid Windows 10 would not detect HDMI.
>>> Well, latest-and-greatest Linux Mint (KDE) doesn't detect the HDMI
>>> either...
> Todd Millecam writes:
>> Well, either your HDMI port is electrically broken on the board (TV
>> or
>> Laptop, could be one or the other, hard to tell from an email), or
>> it's a
>> software issue.

Having 2 different OSes both fail to see the HDMI output sounds like a
problem that isn't software to me, but read on.

On 2016-03-16 11:47, wrote:
> I validated the cable and the TV via a DVD player. Which leaves the
> problem to be a software problem or some of incompatibility between
> the laptop's hardware and the cable/TV interaction combo.

According to the internet, the laptop has one of those
dual-graphics-card chipsets in it. (Intel HD Graphic 530 and GeForce
960M.) I don't know which card is responsible for handling the HDMI
port. According to https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
, the 960M is in the NV110 class of hardware and so should be able to do
HDMI with the nouveau X module. However, the nouveau FAQ says, "If you
have a laptop with dual Intel/Nvidia graphics, the Nvidia card may or
may not be usable. The card may be selectable via vgaswitcheroo or a
BIOS option, you should check those first."

So: See where the HDMI port is with lspci, maybe see what you can find
in the BIOS Setup, and investigate the "vgaswitcheroo" program?

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity