Re: Crap! HDMI... :( Help!

+ (text/html)
Author: Todd Millecam
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Crap! HDMI... :( Help!
Well, either your HDMI port is electrically broken on the board (TV or
Laptop, could be one or the other, hard to tell from an email), or it's a
software issue.

In linux you can at least have a look at lspci to see if it sees the hdmi
port there, that'll tell you if the Linux kernel sees it and whether or not
it's a hardware issue. If it sees it, then it's something in the software
stack that's not working, probably in Xorg.

In terms of the mini display port adapter, most of those are the cheap
passive adapter, which means they can only broadcast a signal out, they
can't hear back from whatever device is on the other end. You could try
finding an active adapter (they're about 5x as much in terms of cost). The
active adapter has a better chance of supporting a full 4k resolution.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM, <> wrote:

> In my infinite wisdom, I bought yesterday a laptop (Asus ROG GL752VW) and
> a 4K TV to use as a monitor.
> Stupid Windows 10 would not detect HDMI.
> OK, screw it, I'm going to dual-boot the thing anyway.
> Well, latest-and-greatest Linux Mint (KDE) doesn't detect the HDMI
> either... :(
> So...
> I bought a 'mini display port-to-VGA' adapter and plugged it VGA into the
> TV. It works, but I only get the same laptop resolution (1920x1080)
> 8-(
> So...
> Questions are:
> 1.- Can I expect my full 4K resolution if I get the #$@! HDMI working?