Re: router recommendation

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: router recommendation

Just look for anything that can run wrt
      on it.

      Personally, I replaced my cisco asa with a netgear r7000, dual
      core arm, gig of ram, usb3 ports, gig, and I'm actually quite
      happier with it for around $200 new (2 years ago).  I still keep
      my wlan controller around for multiple ap's around my house in
      lwapp, never used the on-board wifi, but supposedly does AC
      decently. This is almost a clone of the Asus rt8x series for
      internal hardware (without asus' odd form-factor).

      Oddly, I'll stop by my local goodwill for book scavenging
      occasionally, and will rifle through their routers.  I've actually
      found a few nice a/b/g/n routers that are still very useful with a
      clean wrt image on it, and I've given to friend and family to
      (finally) retire their 2002 wrt54g's - for ~7 bucks.  Last I'd
      found was a dual band cisco router that would take a full
      (non-mini) wrt image to do openvpn, graphite, etc on it.

      I imagine the routers going "bad" are usually only their kids
      torrenting and blasting their little processors with 100k pps.

      Shop with the wrt wiki, go find them on ebay, cl, or goodwill near
      you for a deal.

      -mb