Re: restore with rsync or fix window manager

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: restore with rsync or fix window manager
On 01/10/2016 04:52 AM, Michael Havens wrote:
> really? So are you saying that with ubuntu you do not need to have a
> home partition?

You don't NEED to have a home partition on any Linux distribution, it
can just be a good idea, especially if you change out distributions a
lot since a separate partition would allow you to preserve your user
files between installs. I tend to just put everything in one partition
for most simple desktop installs since it eliminates having to juggle
partitions around or play with LVM later if we find to need move space
around. It's almost never a problem.
> so I did verify that the problem is my user as I created another
> account and logged in and everything is fine

Great, sounds like you can just get rid of config files and then see
about fixing your packages later and save yourself a bunch of time.
> Here is something weird that happened: I was working on my computer
> and had a glass of wine. I then went to bed and woke at like 2AM.
> After waking I went into the computer room and had no internet. I went
> back to bed at this point to wake at 6 to find I still had no
> internet. So I called Cox to hear the familiar 'we don't support Linux
> but everything is fine on our end.' So I restart the computer and
> internet was back.

Best guess. The cable modem needed to be reset and then your network
connection needed to be told to get another IP via DHCP which was
accomplished by rebooting. You could have probably just told your
computer to get another IP address and that could have worked just as well.

Brian Cluff