Re: Sound stopped working....

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Sound stopped working....

Check pavucontrol (pulseaudio volume
      control, install if necessary), I use usb devices that
      occasionally glitch and get lost.  If something is bound to it,
      like a use a chrome-based voip service that if active, locks the
      device, and a hard-disconnect means a reboot to see the usb
      headset again.  That's a major party foul, but such is life, and
      you might see something similar if using usb devices I've found.

      If local on-board sound, I'd say it's just flaky, or you broke
      pulse somehow.  I end up switching inputs and outputs a lot for
      voip, music, and various input/outputs amount local sound,
      headsets, other.  Pulse does a good job, usually more kernel than
      anything when devices arise, thus dmesg is you friend.

      As stated, when sound devices get deadlocked with the kernel, a
      reboot I've found is needed to fix as easiest resolution.  You can
      also likely rmmod the devices, and insmod them back, maybe, too
      that occasionally works for me, but either way the kernel module
      to hardware device interrupt map is broken at some level.

      Caveat emptor with pavucontrol - I get it going batcrap crazy and
      consuming 10gb of ram occasionally, wondering why I'm ever hitting
      swap.  Necessary evil I find, I just try not to leave running.

      -mb