Re: systemd [NOT?] (was Re: Void Linux tips)

Author: Ed
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: systemd [NOT?] (was Re: Void Linux tips)
about systemd:
1) change is never easy
2) an admins life is easier if all the machines are systemd or are not
systemd - a mix is a pain
3) migration is not a discontinuity - any SysV init scripts you have
will continue to work - systemd will do it's async thing and then go
through any legacy init scripts one after the other.
4) more than init scripts are changing - sorry - SysV had a sharp
focus and traditional unix design principles, systemd has a broader
frame of what is involved in managing processes.* (VMS anyone)
5) Some of the goals are to have signed systems from snout to tail and
also fully isolated processes all the way down to the kernel and the
ending of dll hell via BTrFS integration - among others...
6) There will always be BSDs and they will never have systemd** => see
the new NetBSD 7 or FreeBSD and ZFS or OpenBSD and LibReSSL (now with
all SSLs fully deprecated!)

* if you want processes to be mobile across live machines, I think
this is necessary spade work.    I, for one....
** there are emulations, but systemd is linux kernel specific.

see https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/systemd/ and
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd-for-admins-1.html
It's a kitchen sink, so learn to cook and have fun!