Re: What is your system advice? Solved.

Author: Brian Cluff
To: michael, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: What is your system advice? Solved.
On 10/07/2015 07:03 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
> I slaughter 8gb of ram on the t440 with win7 seemingly like nothing,
> and the i5 proc will haaaaaaang visio forever doing complex edits of
> groups of shapes for sometimes 30sec. Windoze is still a pig I think,
> maybe the hardware would be ok with linux. I ended up jiving a
> virtual image out of them, and simply run it on my linux dell e7240 on
> the road or desktop as another vm under parent ubuntu, works wayyy
> better than that i5 t440 lenovo does native.

If it's RAM that is killing you, upgrade it to 16Gigs. If it's anything
like the T420 I have, it says that it will only take 8gb total, but it
will in fact use 8Gig chips with no problem. I added an 8Gig chip to
the 4Gigs that it already had and have now have 12Gig in mine, which has
been fine so far. If I need more, I'll replace the other 4gig chip as
well, but I doubt that I will any time soon for what I plan to use this
system for.
It sounds to me like Visio is a total pig if it's eating up 8 gigs or
ram. It would have to be an insanely complex shape(s) to really use
that in any of the vector based software that I have used.
> Oh yeah, that f'in Fn key should never replace a ctrl in the bottom
> left-most corner. It infuriates me to almost throw it across a room.
> They really need to make a not-lame keyboard option.

I agree, the Fn key is in a really weird place and it takes some getting
used to, especially when you switch back and forth between computers....
but, Look in your BIOS. If it's similar to mine you can swap the Fn and
CTRL keys and make it into a similar layout to most other laptops.

Brian Cluff