RE: Bind9 / Cox reverse lookup

Author: Rusty Ramser
To: 'Main PLUG discussion list'
Subject: RE: Bind9 / Cox reverse lookup
Hi, Keith.

Will your environment be needing to do internal lookups based upon IP? For
instance, are you using a non-routable set of IP addresses (e.g., 10.x.x.x,
192.168.x.x) for your environment behind NAT, and will those systems need to
perform name resolution of each other based upon IP? If so, yes, you'll
want to have your own internal reverse lookup zone because obviously Cox (or
any other public DNS provider) will not have that information.

If you really don't need any internal reverse name resolution, then there
may be no need to create a zone. For instance, there isn't an "environment"
of servers you have, it's just this single web server. And the web server
doesn't have any internal network it sits on, it's just got a public,
routable IP address.

Cheers.