Ubuntu 14.04LTS package upgrades

Author: Keith Smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Ubuntu 14.04LTS package upgrades

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04LTS in a test environment because I needed a newer
version of PHP and MySql than what CentOS 7 (RHEL 7) comes with.

I've been using CentOS and / or RHEL for about 7 years and am
comfortable with it. I am especially appreciative of how RHEL backports
so no packages are broken.

After configuring and using Ubuntu 14.04LTS I would like to move to it
in production.

I have heard horror stories of distributions upgrading to a newer
version of Apache, MySql, and/or PHP and breaking the server or the apps
running on the server.

I'm wondering how Ubuntu deals with this type of potential problem.

According to this page : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS Ubuntu 14.04LTS
will be supported until late 2019. That is almost 5 years on the same
version. I would expect to stay on 14.04LTS for probably 3 or 4 years
depending on what comes down the pike.

Thank you in advance for your insight!!

Keith