Re: Live streaming server

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Live streaming server

Pulseaudio can handle this to some
      extents without too much work, but careful, the networking and
      other encroaching processes will cause the real-time nature to be
      quirky.  I used to do this to some extent of success, using my
      ubuntu media server to stream audio from other hosts at it via
      multicast or unicast.  Tends to stutter by default as a habit, but
      at the time I *was* using it on a 400mhz ppc imac with ubuntu as
      the player source.  What could go wrong.

      Some audio chips are better than others too, ymmv there.

      Best thing is a dedicated box doing little else, but pulse with
      their rtp sink can do much of this, but you'll need to tweak with
      it some, giving it a real-time kernel, setting the priority of the
      devices, processes, setting pulse to do rt, etc.

      There are some people working around things like this on a
      raspberry pi with some of their spi audio chips that don't suck
      like the built-in ones.  Have to use real-time on those, but it
      works it seems.  Was going to do this for using pi's in audio
      distribution around my house as a pet project.

      Pulse is pretty cool for that, I use pavucontrol to mux streams
      with it.  You can do some interesting things patching like with
      jack actually if you toggle a few options, like exposing monitor
      sinks.  I have some security camers with 2 way audio on them, but
      use a horrid active-x based interface to use it.  I redirect the
      mic audio sink of the xp box pulse to a monitor of the output of
      my audio card, so I'll stream music that way around the house for
      giggles, and annoy my birds back.

      -mb

      On 09/08/2015 02:41 PM, Shawn Badger wrote:

I am looking for a way to stream an RTSP stream to
                  a bunch of people internally, so kind of a locally
                  hosted live CDN.  I have looked into trying it with
                  VLC but it seems to only stream files.

                Here are a couple of the base requiremnets that I need
                to meet:

              1. locally hosted

            2. CLI to add/remove stream or just control

          3. a single connection to the original stream

        Does anyone know of a way to do this?