Re: no wedding band??

Author: Keith Smith
To: Jerry Snitselaar, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: no wedding band??

I take a holistic approach to these things because I think they are all
related. I had a preacher (Christian) friend tell me about 7 years ago
that politics does not belong in the church. Interestingly enough
politics is all that is in the church today - external politics.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. Most people want to compartmentalize their
lives. We see today that does not work, in fact it has created the very
environment we are in today.

Lets look at two things that are not related to Open Source and see how
they would effect Linux in a major way.

Lets say the the Government decided to modify the First Amendment and
say you must now be Amish and live an Amish lifestyle. Say good bye to
Open Source.... Computers, T.V., Cellular... etc. In Dearborn Michigan
they are fastly approaching implementing Sharia Law. I'll bet that
will effecting the Open Source movement in Dearborn. I'll bet it is
effecting a lot more than Open Source.

And one real possibility is taxation. What if the Gov decided, which in
reality is coming, to tax Open Source software. Open Source threatens
the tax and spend mentality of most government organizations so taxing
Open Source is coming. Taxing Open Source could severely damage the
community.

You may want to compartmentalize, and 20 years ago you probably could
have, today - not so much.

On 2015-08-29 10:09, Jerry Snitselaar wrote:
> Politics as it relates to technology, linux in particular, might be
> okay for this list, but it should be kept to the policies and not the
> personalities involved. The original post that started this thread
> though has no place on this list.

Keith Smith