Re: I just read this today

Author: parabellum7@yahoo.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: I just read this today
I think Ubuntu was the first desktop Linux distro refined enough for any average user wanting to ditch Windows. They got big name manufacturers to include it as an option and others to develop drivers. I migrated off Windows with it and was happy for a few years. I Ubuntuized a few non-techenpeepers with it and the number of tech support calls declined.

And all was well, at least for awhile ...

Then came Unity. They wanted to make the PC desktop more like a mobile device, and perhaps that will win over the masses but it didn't work for me nor anyone I know. It bogged down on older hardware and if I wanted my desktop to operate like an iPhone I would get a dock-able smart-phone. When updates for pre-Unity versions ended I checked the other varieties of Ubuntu and found all of them to be sub-par. So I searched for a new distro and chose Mint with the Mate desktop. And all is well again.

For yet another example of how obnoxious Ubuntu is getting, see the article on pcworld.com about how to stop Ubuntu from sending your desktop searches to online retailers like Amazon. Also note the irony of that article appearing on a website that attempts to run ten trackers on you when you visit, with Amazon at the top of that list.

Regarding Snappy: My initial reaction is this is a solution looking for a problem. I suppose if I'm bored someday I might take it for a test-drive a VM ... I'm a bit skeptical of the schemes they hatch and I'm not having many issues with the current system of installing packages and updates.

I'm just glad we have choices. With those 'other' OS's you're along for the ride no matter what BS they're selling that day.

-Kenn