Re: Seeking recommendations for best Linux ultralights

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Seeking recommendations for best Linux ultralights

I had a former employer get me a pimp
      asus zenbook, the nice 2800x1600ish 15" display, dual ssd, etc,
      but it was a freakin basketcase under ubuntu to get working.  Even
      trying arch and some others were painful, each with widely varying
      quirks.

      Their bios didn't support "legacy" booting, so I had to learn efi
      which wasn't itself so bad, but very different and took some time
      to figure out my raid+crypto+lvm with gpt.  I encountered
      countless bugs/quirks, many with the nvidia video that the desktop
      version wouldn't work oob without causing the oss drivers to wig
      out at 100% cpu, and if I let the display sleep, it wouldn't
      reawaken.  Great, since the install took forever with it pegging
      the cpu the whole way, and having to reboot it constantly to work
      around the crappy ubuntu desktop installer quirks that came with
      13.10 at the time.

      Some reason I don't remember, the alt installer wouldn't work on
      it too, I think the 4k resolution blew up the vesa compatibility
      for the ncurses-based di installer.  I think sound didn't work at
      the time too (needed newer kernel support at the moment).

      Once it was working, I'd have lots of random lockups and other
      things my laptops just didn't do, which really made using it far
      more painful than my little crap hp folio, so I just kept using
      that.  When I quit, I gave it back gladly and checked Asus off my
      buy list.  Asus obviously didn't give a darn about linux support,
      not even as an afterthought, and I doubt they've changed much
      since early 2014 when that adventure took place.

      I'm currently using a 12" lightweight dell latitude 7220 laptop,
      i7 ulv proc, 16gb of ram, dual msata ssd, 1080p touch screen, and
      a docking station.  Only a dual-core and crap intel graphics, but
      as a workstation, it's light, docking station is wonderful, and
      works almost entirely great with linux, having run mint debian and
      settling back on ubuntu.

      I say almost, the only issue I've had is after a month or so of
      use, it'll go into this zombie mode that I can't get it to
      shutdown or hibernate without a hard powerdown, as it'll literally
      keep waking up immediately after going to sleep.  More than a few
      times I pulled it out my laptop bag broiling itself, but now I
      just pay attention and hard power it down (holding the power for
      10sec) if it does.  I need to harass dell some, this is a bios bug
      it seems.

      It's kinda pricey new ($2200ish), but I never buy new, rather look
      for dell outlet coupons around holidays, usually finding 30-35%
      off, at refurb price made it a steal (I think I paid ~$900),
      saving to upgrade the memory and ssd's.

      -mb