Re: OT - sort of

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT - sort of

My advice is expect them to die, and
      frequently.  Most I've gotten out of one is just under 2 years,
      most 4mo-1yr.

      I do things like raid (because they *do* die), crypto, and lvm on
      them, but spend careful time to align things, yet they still die.

      I've gotten most longevity out of samsung disks so far, using a
      840 pro disk over a year (in a work pc, now sitting on a shelf)
      and a pair of 850 evo msata's in my dell in raid1/luks/lvm config
      I do on everything happily (so far) after a 1.5yr.

      My last to die was a 512gb crucial m100, wasn't happy to see some
      $350 fly out the window after 4 months.  Yeah, I was going to rma,
      and never bothered as I'm sure they're just going to send me
      another refurb to burn out even quicker.  I just sort of scratched
      crucial from my "will ever buy again" list, as their support
      channel was painful (website and humans) to boot.

      The 2yr disk was an adata pro disk, that started getting flaky
      around that 2yr period.  I tried updating firmware as smart status
      didn't indicate it going, and rather their piece o' crap firmware
      update utility (for linux even) bricked it hard.  Thanks guys,
      obviously a windoze dev ported it with extensive q/a.  I relegated
      it's twin as a travel disk rarely used now.

      -mb