Re: Have you heard of this yet?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Have you heard of this yet?

Well, I'm not so certain they're
      necessarily going to make it a well known fact that "anyone" can
      hop onto your modem now.  Yes it will be separate bandwidth, but
      I'm not keen that a modem hack wouldn't allow someone to bridge
      themselves into my network path too, redirecting, tcpdumping,
      etc.  At very least doing so with ap firmware bothers me having
      "others" connecting to my terminal I don't know, owning it gives
      them entire control over an embedded linux to work, normally just
      to run the ap.

      Not to mention any inherent "lawful interception" features native
      anyways, but they do that upstream themselves already tapping
      every packet traversing them.

      The other thing is people can/do still hack their modems, spoof
      macs, literally steal bandwidth pretending to be someone else,
      etc.  As much as cable companies don't like to hear that, there
      are always reasons/circumstances they never quite fully secure
      them, and they get actively exploited.  Adding now some sort of
      wireless terminal into it, and receiving endpoints that can join
      into bigger networks (think att, tmo, vzw, cellcos public wifi)
      seems problematic to leave as a cpe in homes to be toyed with.

      Motorola modems are/were always good for allowing cracking and
      jtag reprogramming/control, wonder how those would be with this
      feature.

      Not to mention now you turn one of those magic modems on, suddenly
      you see 50+ssid's with every house flooding 2.4ghz (plus their own
      of course), that's gotta be lovely for anyone still stuck using
      their own in 2.4 b/g/n.  Good thing the 802.11ac spec is driving
      everyone to 5ghz, at least until cable co's want in on that too.

      -mb